Forum BigDB Daily Active Users

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Daily Active Users

Postby Yukichu » March 22nd, 2014, 7:47 pm

YGN new policy

Application either:
(a) is exclusively on the Yahoo Games Channel, or
(b) has less than 5000 daily active users.

What if I am only using BigDB? I have 0 users. Maybe 1-3 for database connections.
- Do I get perpetually free service?
- There are no limitations on objects, disk space, or bandwidth?
- I don't get it.

Granted, the Terms of Service said they can change anything, any time, under applicable law, which means like... whenever they want they can suddenly say I owe money for having too many objects, too much disk space, or too much bandwidth used...

There is no email link in their stuff I could find, so it's the forum I'm asking. Anyone know?
Yukichu

Re: Daily Active Users

Postby Yukichu » March 25th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Anyone have an email address at least to contact them?

I tried gamesnet@yahoo-inc.com and still no reply.

Oh well. Amazon DynamoDB here I come.
Yukichu

Postby frank84 » March 25th, 2014, 5:29 pm

They replied to me after a day at gamesnet@yahoo-inc.com.

"Over the next few weeks we will update the site to reflect the new pricing model.
However you are right from June 1st, there will no longer be a limit on BigDB, GameFS and our other services."
frank84

Postby Yukichu » March 27th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I got a response, though it took a few days.

"Pretty much means that the service will be free for you.
Note here however that storing millions of records or cheating on how you count DAU will be looked on as abuse."

I mean, this is awesome and all, but I just don't get it. What kind of business model is this? How many people could just decide to cozy up to YGN for BigDB, store as much as they like, as many objects as they like, and use as much bandwidth as they like... for free? How long until 'behind the scenes' my bandwidth capacity is capped because I don't pay? I wanted to use BigDB for the PayVault integration and was going to pay the $25 a month... and now that's free too?

I mean... I have 0 DAU because I only use BigDB. I will forever have 0 DAU. I just don't get it.

The only 'safe' option I see is to migrate off, and perhaps just store all my money-type info here so PayVault integration works. Sure, I'll be paying for this somewhere else, but I won't feel like I'll get a magic bill or have weird issues because I use a ton of I/O for free.
Yukichu

Postby Henrik » March 30th, 2014, 2:20 am

Yukichu, I'm trying to understand your use-case here.

Don't you have users? How would you use PayVault, without calling Authenticate for each user you have? Doing that automatically gives you your DAU/MAU statistics for your game, and each user his or her private Vault, tracking their purchases and items and coins.

I can see how you could use BigDB through a single Authenticate call, and then implement your own per-user datastore on top, but why go through the trouble when the Backend Service does that for you?
Henrik
.IO

Postby Yukichu » April 2nd, 2014, 5:16 pm

Been busy, sorry for the long wait in a reply.

I hadn't attempted to use PayVault, so I wasn't quite sure how it would work. You're saying that each time a user connects to PayVault, they would could against a DAU count. Alright, that makes sense.

The only two PlayerIO (now YGN) components I had planned on using was BigDB and PayVault. Well, thanks for the clarification. Not sure on what I'm going to do for now. Ah well.
Yukichu

Return to BigDB