Forum BigDB help understanding bigdb

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

help understanding bigdb

Postby craksy » September 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Hi, i've been reading in the documentation but i can't seem to get my head around this thing.

I have worked with SQL before. it would be awesome if you could explain this to me in "SQL words".

basically i want to make a login page for my game, where a user is able to create and login with an account.
looking at the admin panel im just getting confused with the terms keys, indexes, objects and tables (not knowing if tables is the same kind i know of from SQL).
are indexes and keys 2 different ways of accessing your data or... ?
Im really lost here.

please help me out.
thanks.
craksy

Re: help understanding bigdb

Postby RedCorona_EGA12 » September 8th, 2012, 10:47 pm

The key is the 'name' of each object. You can always search on that. Indices define other columns, or sets of columns, that are available to query.

If you just want a simple user protocol then the Simple QuickConnect might do enough for you.
RedCorona_EGA12

Postby craksy » September 8th, 2012, 11:46 pm

As i remember SQL each column would hold an ID(name) and a datatype. Then there could be added an infinite number of rows, each containing a value for every column.

If i want to create a table with 3 columns, say:
and then add a couple of rows, holding a value for each, how would i do that?

some example code would be awesome.

Also i didn't even look into the quickConnect thingy until now. It's awesome. I would still like to get a grasp on the database though.

in advance: Thanks

-Craksy
craksy

Postby Henrik » September 9th, 2012, 3:55 pm

craksy wrote:I have worked with SQL before. it would be awesome if you could explain this to me in "SQL words".

Well, BigDB isn't an SQL database, it's an object datastore without a fixed dataformat. In each table you can have as many objects as you want, as long as they all have unique keys. In each object, you can put as many properties as you want, and you can even nest them and have sub-properties and arrays of properties. A BigDB object looks a lot more like a JSON object than an SQL row.

craksy wrote:basically i want to make a login page for my game, where a user is able to create and login with an account.

You really should use QuickConnect for SimpleUsers for that, it makes the whole flow a lot easier:

http://playerio.com/documentation/quick ... impleusers

When you want to start storing data for each user, just use the PlayerObjects table. It is a regular BigDB table, we've just added some convenience methods for accessing it:

http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/playerobject
Henrik
.IO

Return to BigDB