Forum BigDB Is BigDB only usable / intended for multiplayer games?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Is BigDB only usable / intended for multiplayer games?

Postby eternalsyndrome » June 2nd, 2010, 1:08 pm

Hi there,

Player.IO is looking more and more awesome everyday so great work! :)

I was just wondering if BigDB could / can be used in single / non-multi-player games also. This would be really useful since pretty much all other data api's only save / load / view data specific to the active logged-in player, however it would great to be able to use BigDB in situations where you want to share data that is viewable globally to all players / players friends (for example achievements) in a single-player flash game environment.

So, is this possible and / or something that would be an encouraged use of BigDB?

Thanks in advance! :)
eternalsyndrome

Re: Is BigDB only usable / intended for multiplayer games?

Postby fox1980 » June 2nd, 2010, 2:23 pm

I'm not a BigDB expert (yet), but from what i seen you have full access rights to the DB when using the C# server, so even if the flash client doesn't have sufficient rights, you can query the server with some kind of message, and the server can look that values anywhere in the DB and send them back to you.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, in fact i'm doing basically the same thing on my facebook demo.
fox1980

Postby Toby » June 2nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

Hi Eternalsyndrome,
To answer your question shortly: Yes, go ahead. :D

BigDB was designed with single player games in mind too, meaning you'll still have full control of your tables through ActionScript if you're not interested in the multiplayer side.

As shown in the documentation, you can also create leader-boards/ranking systems for your games by using indexes. The reach of BigDB extends far past just basic storage for multiplayer. ;)
Toby

Postby Oliver » June 2nd, 2010, 6:07 pm

Quick Answer:

You have access to exactly the same operations (load, save, etc) from As3 as you do from C#

-Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby fox1980 » June 2nd, 2010, 6:26 pm

Oliver wrote:Quick Answer:

You have access to exactly the same operations (load, save, etc) from As3 as you do from C#

-Oliver

What i meant is when using AS3 we're limited by the access rights on the table, while using server code it always assumes full rights. Isn't this so ?
fox1980

Postby eternalsyndrome » June 2nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

Ah great, thanks everyone, that's great to know! Just gotta get my head around a few things :)

fox1980 wrote:
Oliver wrote:Quick Answer:

-Oliver

What i meant is when using AS3 we're limited by the access rights on the table, while using server code it always assumes full rights. Isn't this so ?

You have the same full access to BigDB from both ActionScript and C# multiplayer-code
Perhaps that means full rights :?:
eternalsyndrome

Postby Oliver » June 3rd, 2010, 8:26 am

Correct.

However; You can setup the access rights anyway you want, so you can easily give your client connection (most likely "public") full access to all tables -- then you have exactly the same rights and operations available client-side as you do serverside.

Access rights are described here:
http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/tables

And here is a screenshot of the accessright edit page:
http://playerio.com/m/i/features/bigdb/ ... rights.png

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to BigDB