Forum BigDB BigDB specs

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

BigDB specs

Postby fox1980 » May 31st, 2010, 12:34 am

Is BigDB something you developed from the ground up, or is it a fork from an opensource project ? I'm asking cause i was wondering how mature and stable it is. Do you have any tips or best practises for designing the databases ? I read it scales infinetely, but does this mean we can disregard DB optimization ? Will it perform at top speed no matter the number of objects ? Also, are there any limitations of any kind we should be aware ?
fox1980

Re: BigDB specs

Postby Oliver » May 31st, 2010, 8:57 pm

Is BigDB something you developed from the ground up, or is it a fork from an opensource project

Yes and no. It's based on few proven components internally. I won't say which though.

I'm asking cause i was wondering how mature and stable it is

It's brand-new and in beta currently. So, treat it as such... That being said, it is already powering a large campaign site: http://www.m-ball.com

I read it scales infinetely, but does this mean we can disregard DB optimization ? Will it perform at top speed no matter the number of objects?

Yes. However, the pricing we'll introduce will be variable based on how many objects and operations (saves;loads,...) you're doing, so it makes sense to load fewer, larger objects, and not call .save() every millisecond, but rather at key points.

For instance, in serverside code you might load the level state when the room starts, and only save changes when the room closes. Or load playerdata when the player joins the room, and save when the player leaves the room.

Also, are there any limitations of any kind we should be aware ?

Nope.
Oliver
.IO

Re: BigDB specs

Postby tijundonghua » September 6th, 2022, 4:21 am

A game that doesn't need to be too large still gives you the feeling of gliding, frivolous, completely integrated into the game. This is not easy to find Madalin Stunt Cars.
tijundonghua

Return to BigDB