Forum BigDB Bandwidth worries

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Bandwidth worries

Postby -Mani » August 9th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Hey there,

I'm currently working on switching from my old php+mysql servers to the bigDB system.
Since there are about 1000 requests per second, im very worried about the amount of traffic.
I've been looking around in this forum, and I saw some people having the same issues.
This is what worried me:
~1000 requests/s * ~1kb = ~1MB/s
According to some other threads, the average bigDB request size is about 1kb (which is alot, even though im only changing an integer most of the time).
That would mean something about 80GB per day.
Since my game is embedded into facebook, im loading each users friends into the game too.
Assuming everyone has about 50 friends playing that game, too, there will be about 20GB for loading the friends statistics.
So there will be ~100GB a day(not to mention the PayVault traffic).
I've got the plus plan, that means at the end of the month i will have to pay about 1600$ just for the basic bigDB stuff.
Can that be true?

I could really understand that, because the system is soo neat and awesome, but I want to make sure.

Thank you for reading,
Manuel Otto
-Mani
Paid Member

Re: Bandwidth worries

Postby wildbunny » August 9th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Do you need to commit your writes to BigDB immediately?

What I do is to keep the game state on the live server, and only serialise to bigdb when the room closes, and deserialise when the room opens, which minimises traffic - well, it would when I move to binary objects instead of json strings :)
wildbunny

Postby -Mani » August 9th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Thanks for that tip, wildbunny, but my game isn't multiplayer only. :/
The main game is singleplayer and i can't check when someone closes the winodw, so i'll have to store highscores and the other stuff imediately, in order to prevent possible data losses.
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby wildbunny » August 9th, 2011, 9:10 pm

-Mani wrote:Thanks for that tip, wildbunny, but my game isn't multiplayer only. :/
The main game is singleplayer and i can't check when someone closes the winodw, so i'll have to store highscores and the other stuff imediately, in order to prevent possible data losses.

Thought that might have been the case - what bandwidth are you using right now with your mysql solution?
wildbunny

Postby -Mani » August 9th, 2011, 10:00 pm

wildbunny wrote:
-Mani wrote:Thanks for that tip, wildbunny, but my game isn't multiplayer only. :/

Thought that might have been the case - what bandwidth are you using right now with your mysql solution?

Well, i sadly can't tell you that, because I've got 3 dedicated servers, which are serving the game-swfs and images.
I've got no insight for the php-mysql traffic only :/
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby wildbunny » August 9th, 2011, 10:36 pm

The good thing about php-mysql is that often the database is directly on the same server as the game, so there is no web-traffic to worry about, whereas bigdb is not on the same servers as the game (i assume) which is where all the bandwidth gets used up....

Of course, the bad thing about mysql is its very difficult to scale, which is probably why you're here at all, I presume? :)
wildbunny

Return to BigDB