Forum BigDB bigDB creating object from server instead of client

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

bigDB creating object from server instead of client

Postby branimirb » July 14th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Newb here, please bare with me. Here's what's up.

I've got the client making a new character in bigDB with createObject. This requires that the client has rights to Create, which I would like to avoid. So, instead I tried to get the client to send a message to the server, with Send, and then have the server making the character. The problem is that Send doesn't work unless I'm in a room, which I'm not, because this happens in the Lobby, before starting to play.

I've thought that a possible work-around would be to create a new room every time a person would like to register, but that seems like too much. I seem to be looking at this the wrong way.

Any smarter ideas?
branimirb

Re: bigDB creating object from server instead of client

Postby Henrik » July 14th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Well, first off you could use the PlayerObjects table to store it, that has the right rights from the start so that each player gets a single object.

Or you could make another table and set the Full Creator Access right, but then players can create multiple objects, although they can't interfere with each others'

Or you could have a special roomtype for handling commands like this, that's not a bad idea. You can use service-rooms so you don't have to worry about room names etc. Although conceptually there's not much difference between allowing a client to create objects in a BigDB table, and allowing clients to send a message to a roomtype to create objects in a BigDB table. You can have server-side checks in the latter case though if you want to limit the amount of objects each player is allowed to create.
Henrik
.IO

Re: bigDB creating object from server instead of client

Postby garysimmons » July 16th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Hi,

I too am using service rooms and a special room time for account activation and login and it seems to work well.
garysimmons

Return to BigDB