Forum BigDB Deleted data does not stay deleted

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Deleted data does not stay deleted

Postby cjcenizal » May 4th, 2011, 1:48 am

Here's a small bug report for you guys:

I manually deleted all of the entries from some tables using the BigDB interface. However, when I ran my app, it pulled the deleted data down, as if the data still existed. I refreshed the BigDB interface, which showed the data as deleted and the tables empty. I then truncated the tables using the Truncate option, and this succeeded in deleting the data: when I loaded the app, the old deleted data was no longer being pulled down.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Re: Deleted data does not stay deleted

Postby cjcenizal » May 5th, 2011, 1:48 am

This just happened again, except this time I actually had to delete the entire table to make sure the data was deleted.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » May 5th, 2011, 11:56 am

Hm, that sounds incredibly strange, since the truncate option works by actually deleting and re-creating your table. I'll see if I can reproduce it. I guess it could be a weird artifact of the BigDB rollback, but it doesn't make sense.
Henrik
.IO

Postby cjcenizal » May 6th, 2011, 12:48 am

I feel like I'm providing clues to a mystery, haha. Take this next one with a grain of salt, because I solved the problem before I could investigate it thoroughly. After compiling and running my game, I found the "deleted data" problem again, where data was loading which I had just deleted from BigDB. After compiling and running again, I actually got a run-time error:

Code: Select all
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
   at bridge.utils::Converter$/deserializeValueObject()
   at bridge.utils::Converter$/getObject()
   at bridge.utils::Converter$/getObject()
   at bridge.utils::Converter$/toDatabaseObject()
   at <anonymous>()
   at <anonymous>()
   at <anonymous>()
   at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
   at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
   at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()

Unfortunately, I didn't think to look into it further to find out where the error originated, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that this information is relevant to the "deleted data" problem. However, once I truncated the BigDB table, the problem disappeared, indicating a correlation.
Last edited by cjcenizal on May 6th, 2011, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby cjcenizal » May 6th, 2011, 6:44 am

This error just occurred again, and again it was solved by truncating the table from which I had just deleted data.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby cjcenizal » May 11th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Uh oh, looks like this problem is getting worse. After logging into my game, I got the same run-time error as above. However, when I logged into BigDB and looked at the relevant table, all of my data was gone. And I hadn't truncated the table or deleted any data from it yet. I wonder, why did this data disappear from BigDB? I would really like to help diagnose this problem... if anyone has any idea what I can do, I'd love to hear any suggestions.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » May 18th, 2011, 2:22 pm

What exactly does your game do? Do you just load data, or do you manipulate it as well?

In your game, do you reload/reconnect after you've truncated your tables?
Henrik
.IO

Postby Henrik » May 18th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Can you reproduce the error consistently? Or does it only occur sometimes? Can you make a minimal flash app that reproduces it, do you think?

I've been trying to get it to fail, but when I delete objects, they stay deleted, and when I truncate tables, they stay empty. I even loaded up a dump of your tables and objects and tried with them, but no luck.
Henrik
.IO

Postby cjcenizal » May 18th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Hey, Henrik! I've been trying to reproduce it consistently and unfortunately I've had no luck, too. My game loads, manipulates, and saves data. I would truncate the table, reload the game, and the problem would occur. The problem hasn't occurred for awhile, so maybe we should just put this bug on low priority until I can reproduce it consistently and give you some solid info?
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » May 18th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Great that you haven't seen the bug in a while, but yeah, if you encounter it again, see if you can find a way to reproduce it, that would help us a lot. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby FulaFisken » May 23rd, 2011, 2:31 pm

We have had the same issue. We deleted objects in a table through the BigDB interface and they were still fetched using bigDb.load in our code. We had to truncate the table to make them truly deleted.
Fula Fisken
website blog twitter
Play Game
Astroflux
FulaFisken
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » May 23rd, 2011, 5:38 pm

FulaFisken, was it a one-time issue, or can you repeat it consistently?
Henrik
.IO

Postby FulaFisken » May 23rd, 2011, 11:39 pm

We have not tried to reproduce it but there were several objects and it happend a few hours ago. I will report if we encounter it again.
Fula Fisken
website blog twitter
Play Game
Astroflux
FulaFisken
Paid Member

Postby jasonMcIntosh » June 6th, 2011, 6:48 pm

I had a similar experience just now. I deleted about 4 of 6 of my initial test data entries (player objects) from the BigDB interface. I ran the game again and one of the deleted entries was back when I reloaded the BigDB interface page. I deleted the zombie again, and it seems to have stayed gone this time.

I haven't done this enough times to know if there's a recurring pattern, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Return to BigDB