Forum BigDB Development DB

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Development DB

Postby PeteHufnagel » March 23rd, 2011, 7:20 am

Is there a nice way I can seperate my fake data used during development from my live data? I could do it by making extra copies of all the tables, is that the best way?
PeteHufnagel

Re: Development DB

Postby jasonMcIntosh » April 2nd, 2011, 8:48 pm

This is an interesting question, because once you go live, what is the best way to continue to develop without disrupting/corrupting your live players?

Would it be advisable/possible to create two Player.IO accounts and that way create strong separation between live and dev services?
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby cjcenizal » April 3rd, 2011, 7:40 am

I don't think you need another PlayerIO account. Can't you just create separate dev tables for your dev data, and matching live tables for your live data? The major problem I would be concerned about would be maintaining discipline when rolling out any changes that could affect how data is represented. I'd be really worried about making a change to data representation, either accidentally or intentionally, and then corrupting a bunch of live user data.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby PeteHufnagel » April 3rd, 2011, 9:08 am

Yeah, the solution I've been using is to make copies of all my tables and add a "Dev" postfix. Then in the code I have a method to get table names (given an enum), and it is easy to switch out if it puts a "Dev" on the end or not. I don't have any live data yet, but I don't anticipate any problems with this setup, I just wish there were a more elegant way.
PeteHufnagel

Postby Oliver » April 15th, 2011, 12:06 pm

The proper way to do this is with Game Databases. Have a look at the Game Databases section of this page:

http://playerio.com/documentation/connections
Oliver
.IO

Postby jasonMcIntosh » April 15th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Oliver wrote:The proper way to do this is with Game Databases.

*facepalm* Of course. :) You guys rock.
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Return to BigDB