Forum Feedback I love the new tutorial!

Problem with the website? Confused about something? Or maybe you just have something you'd like to suggest. This is the place to do it.

I love the new tutorial!

Postby Alonski » February 19th, 2010, 11:47 am

Wow it was so informative and in-depth! I can't believe how helpful it was. I now understand the server structure so much better than I did before.

I commend you on this and I can't wait for more tutorials with maybe more specific examples instead of general ones such as a tutorial on how to actually build a pool game or something similar. Maybe how to build a simple FPS.

Also I found many grammatical errors as well as content being posted twice. I will try to compile a list if you guys would like.

If you want I can help proofread all tutorials that go on the site before they go live.
Alonski

Re: I love the new tutorial!

Postby Benjaminsen » February 19th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Alonski wrote:Wow it was so informative and in-depth! I can't believe how helpful it was. I now understand the server structure so much better than I did before.

I commend you on this and I can't wait for more tutorials with maybe more specific examples instead of general ones such as a tutorial on how to actually build a pool game or something similar. Maybe how to build a simple FPS.

Also I found many grammatical errors as well as content being posted twice. I will try to compile a list if you guys would like.

If you want I can help proofread all tutorials that go on the site before they go live.

We would love some help tightening up our documentation and tutorials. Write me at chris@player.io and I will set you up with the access to do so!
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Alonski » February 19th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Emailed you =D
Alonski

Postby Cyclone103 » February 20th, 2010, 1:27 am

I also enjoyed reading the tutorial, it has some good advice.

For added security, check this thing out: http://www.veryinteractivepeople.com/?p=67

It lets you encrypt the swf and decrypt at runtime, seems pretty good.
Cyclone103

Postby Alonski » February 21st, 2010, 8:28 pm

Hey Ben whats up?
Alonski

Postby loucsam » March 1st, 2010, 11:08 pm

I found the tutorials quite helpful in a generic sense but didn't really make me feel I was equipped to start doing anything, but still I quite enjoyed what I have read. An excellent read. Loved the latency explanations.

On a grammar note, about 90% of the cases where you use the word "then" it should be "than".

Cheers,
Max
loucsam

Postby Cyclone103 » March 2nd, 2010, 12:38 am

I found the interpolation tutorial useful. I use a tween now instead of just jumping the object.
Cyclone103

Postby Toby » March 2nd, 2010, 12:41 am

loucsam wrote:On a grammar note, about 90% of the cases where you use the word "then" it should be "than".
Cheers,
Max

That's actually a pretty common error in people's idiolects, it's bordering an Americanism but meh, I just press through and try to suppress my grammar paganism. ;)
Toby

Postby Cyclone103 » March 2nd, 2010, 12:51 am

The tutorial was written by a Canadian:
About the author
Ryan Brady is a Canadian developer who is [...]
Cyclone103

Postby Toby » March 2nd, 2010, 1:20 am

Cyclone103 wrote:The tutorial was written by a Canadian:
About the author
Ryan Brady is a Canadian developer who is [...]

bordering an Americanism

As Ami said, it's mostly from people who pronounce their a's and e's similar, it's an error picked up via spoken language. :X

Off-topic anyways.

I like the tutorial, it definitely covers all the bases for the theory behind it. A few more practical examples would be nice in future tutorials, as I'm sure that's what a lot of people will be looking for - how to implement the APIs.
Toby

Postby TharosTheDragon » February 6th, 2013, 8:33 am

From the start of chapter 8: "We have two players playing a top-down first person shooter."

Holy crap does this piss me off.

Sorry, miscategorizing game genres is a pet peeve of mine. So many people do it.
TharosTheDragon

Return to Feedback