Forum Feedback What is the current state of Yahoo Games Network?

Problem with the website? Confused about something? Or maybe you just have something you'd like to suggest. This is the place to do it.

What is the current state of Yahoo Games Network?

Postby Andromedus » December 17th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm currently looking for a back end solution for a multiplayer flash game I've been asked to develop for a client. Having looked through the documentation, the Yahoo Games Network seems to tick a lot of the right boxes - it has some great features and seems well documented.

What worries me somewhat is the lack of information about pricing, coupled with an apparent lack of activity on the forums. I have a number of questions about how the revenue share is calculated, and it seems that those questions have been asked already on this forum, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to have been any official responses other than a couple of comments along the lines of 'don't worry about it, we're working on it' - and that was quite some time ago. I'm not going to be able to convince my client to take over the project upon completion without some clearly defined information about what it's going to cost them. "Don't worry about it" isn't quite going to cut it!

Is it possible to get some kind of official word on what the current status of this system is? Is it being actively developed? Are there active support channels? Is there some sort of roadmap which might reassure developers that the system will be around for the foreseeable future? Forgive me if I seem overly cautious, but I'm sure everyone understands that having faith in the back end service for a multiplayer game is crucial. It would be great to get started using this framework.

Thanks.
Andromedus

Re: What is the current state of Yahoo Games Network?

Postby Andromedus » December 30th, 2014, 11:32 am

Oh dear - the lack of response tells me pretty much what I needed to know. Such a shame as the tools looked great, but without any sign of life supporting those tools it's hard to have much faith in their reliability or in the future of the system as a whole. I've started work for my client using a different solution I can trust, but here's hoping that one day YGN springs back into life.
Andromedus

Return to Feedback