Forum Feedback RoomData listing feature request

Problem with the website? Confused about something? Or maybe you just have something you'd like to suggest. This is the place to do it.

RoomData listing feature request

Postby Toby » August 21st, 2011, 12:24 am

First, It would be nice if we could list rooms with listRooms that are set to private. I realise this might defeat the point, so perhaps put it as a parameter that defaults to true. But otherwise there is no way to retrieve room data for a private room you're about to join (to establish which player slots are free, etc).

or you could just add:

Code: Select all
Client.multiplayer.getRoomData(String roomID, Function callback, Function errorCallback);

Get the room data for a specific room, including private rooms.

This would be particularly useful for a direct join, via url's, prelobby, so either would be massively useful :D
Toby

Re: RoomData listing feature request

Postby Oliver » August 29th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Hey Toby,

I understand the feature request, but roomdata updates will always lag a bit behind the actual data inside the room (just network propagation takes time), so for something like free player spots does it not make more sense to join the room and communicate directly with it in order to join etc?

I'm not saying we won't do it, i'm just digging a bit deeper into the demand.

Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby Toby » August 29th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Oliver wrote:Hey Toby,

I understand the feature request, but roomdata updates will always lag a bit behind the actual data inside the room (just network propagation takes time), so for something like free player spots does it not make more sense to join the room and communicate directly with it in order to join etc?

I'm not saying we won't do it, i'm just digging a bit deeper into the demand.

Well, when the game gets passed the room id from the url, it goes to a prelobby after you log in. This tells you what kind of room you're about to join (ie which game modifiers are in play), the room name, as well as letting you choose which slot you want to join (this is available in the main lobby too).

It would be possible to use joinData to get the server to send the client this information on join, and then I guess re-trigger the join function when the player selects a slot(?), but as it's already available as room data, I think it would be much cleaner if I could just access it without having to add a separate join case to my code.
Toby

Postby Oliver » August 29th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I would solve it by joining the room directly in the prelobby, and then the server would send out a message saying which slots were taken PLUS a message each time a slot was taken, such that the client can present a fully up to date live view of the slots.

Wouldn't that work?

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to Feedback