Forum Showroom Little Space Game

Show your interesting finds or creations off here.

Little Space Game

Postby Cursor » July 23rd, 2010, 8:36 pm

I've been making some "sketches" for a top down multilayer game. (elite / frontier like - sort of)
The server is already prepared for multiple sectors but now only one works because you cant hyperspace out of it.

Instructions
- The arrow keys are for movement (think of newton here)
- Acceleration and deceleration is handled by the ship computer you only control the set speed. (be careful here if you want to test it)
- the key T is for selecting a target (another player or a space station - cant select asteroids yet)
- the key A is for auto pilot (just handles direction to the target you must control the speed)
- the Space bar is for fire - you can only fire with a target selected as the on board computer handles targeting

so give it a try and tell me what you think
http://galaxy.cygnusnet.org/

On enter you will just hyperspace into the sector so give it some travel time to reach some asteroids...

Thanks

Pedro
Cursor

Re: Little Space Game

Postby Oliver » July 26th, 2010, 9:25 am

Hey,

The game looks really cool and I can see a lot of places you can take it.

I did think the controls were a bit sluggish -- could it be that you're sending keypresses into the server which then relay's them back to the client? If that's the case, it will result in a cleaner experience if you let the keypresses directly control the ship and only validate movements on the serverside...

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby Benjaminsen » July 26th, 2010, 10:05 am

Looks like the first steps towards a great MMO?

Took me quite a while to understand what where going on.

What's my goal?
Can you actually destroy space stations?

A few suggestions:

Target list: My radar can clearly see that there is other objects out in space, I would like a list with a small arrow pointing in their respective direction.
Handling: I can see how newtonian physics are cool but I would expect the futures control computers to give me better handling than that.

Lastly, the game where updated since last I played it, great to see that you are still working on the project!
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Cursor » July 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Hi, thanks for taking your time and review it! I really appreciate it.

did think the controls were a bit sluggish -- could it be that you're sending keypresses into the server which then relay's them back to the client? If that's the case, it will result in a cleaner experience if you let the keypresses directly control the ship and only validate movements on the serverside...

Actually i'am doing it like that. can you please describe what you felt with the controls? i know its not as simples as other space games but its just vectors... maybe the problem is that the controls aren't intuitive... (have to do something)

Looks like the first steps towards a great MMO?

That would be nice... i hope so...

What's my goal?
Can you actually destroy space stations?

well now there is no goal... you can destroy other players... but its just a "sketch".
My plans are to make a game like elite/frontier where you can trade, mine, be a pirate or an explorer etc. the universe is a procedural one so it can be infinite (i have lots of studies for the universe...)

The space stations will be the "police" of the sector (in sectors where there is one), they are also the place where you can trade and upgrade equipment... (the typical stuff)

Target list: My radar can clearly see that there is other objects out in space, I would like a list with a small arrow pointing in their respective direction.
Handling: I can see how newtonian physics are cool but I would expect the futures control computers to give me better handling than that.

Yes i'am thinking of a way of helping targeting (closest, just station, just ships... etc...) and a list of available targets in the sector. (as well as target info... about cargo, license, player...)

I will try to introduce some "computer assister" helpers like auto control of side thrusters (to help in curves)... have to try and implement some of those helpers and the ability to disconnect them... but i love newtonian physics it gives a new dimension to the game...

Lastly, the game where updated since last I played it, great to see that you are still working on the project!

Lets see where i can take it...

Thanks

Pedro
Cursor

Postby Benjaminsen » July 26th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Sounds like you have lots of plans! I will definitely enjoy following this project. Remember to post here when you release updates.

Lastly, I would really like a general idea of where I am in the universe, whenever I play the game i feel completely lost.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Cursor » July 27th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I've made some minor updates...

- docking procedures (D with a space station as target) - [very early stages]
- thrusters animations.
- improved the manageability of the spaceship with side thrusters.
- added a direction compass.. (to help navg. by sensor data and follow targets)

very simple...
players can now actually kill one another...

before i start some code in the UI e need to move from plain actionscript 3 in flashdevelop to use the flex framework... (simpler for the UI and i'm no designer...)

also made a minor change to the main message so any previews versions will not work... (in case anyone need to clean the browser cache...)

Thanks

Pedro
Cursor

Postby Cursor » July 30th, 2010, 10:11 am

I've "ported" the code to use the flex framework 3 and corrected a few bugs with spaceships entering and leaving the sector.
Cursor

Postby Cursor » July 30th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Sectors are really huge so i'am experimenting with "in sector" hyperjumps to target... (in the future it will have a load time)
Cursor

Postby Benjaminsen » July 30th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Just played it with the office again.

Getting really great!
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Cursor » August 3rd, 2010, 9:59 am

Just played it with the office again.
Getting really great!

That's wonderful!
I'am going on holidays to Azores today and between dives i hope to work more on it.

Next i will work in improving the synchronization of the game so it will better in higher speeds (100+) battles at hi speed values are difficult because lag reveals it self more. i have some ideas to overcome this "problem" .

The next few things are adding spaceships (with different accelerations and capabilities) weapons, mining... and some economy. (i'am having lots of fun working on this and thats a lot due to your "framework". Thanks!)

Pedro
Cursor

Postby Benjaminsen » August 3rd, 2010, 10:23 am

Great, as always I will be looking forward to your updates.

A few bugs:
  • Rotation speed does not reset when the Autopilot is turned on. IE if you hold down the right arrow while on autopilot then disable the autopilot you will be spinning out of control
  • Space stations etc is above the some of the UI such as the current target in the bottom left corner.
  • Side jets fires visually when I am just randomly rotating without using any keys.
  • If I hit m, it shows the chat dialogue with an m already in it.
  • Dialogues should close if the button used to open it is pressed

A few suggestions:
  • A visual indicator of my speed: Eve Online has a nice one
  • I want the camera to follow me when I hype jump!
  • Mining, NPC killing, Ranking, etc etc

Keep up the good work!

/Chris
Benjaminsen
.IO

Return to Showroom