Forum Showroom HexWars

Show your interesting finds or creations off here.

HexWars

Postby Vania » May 12th, 2011, 12:58 am

This is a game I made more than a year ago for whirled, but never released.
I decided to revive it with playerio, so lets see how it does...

link: http://www.officeriot.net/hexwars

It's basically an advance wars clone, with some differences. I'm hoping the game will evolve and distance itself from AW with the help of user feedback.
(The menus layout is pretty much copied from shellshocklive, but I'm still waiting on the final skins, the current ones are temporary.)

Monetization scheme:

It's free to play, users can play as guests or make a free account to get some extras like stats tracking, ratings, ladder...
Registered users also have access to the Shop. So far the only thing being sold in the shop are premium units, and they're bought using coins. (I need to add more payment providers)

Premium units are shared in matches, that means if you dont have unit X but your opponent has it you can still build units of type X . The unit will cost you 135% if you dont own it. Of course if neither you or your opponent own unit X nobody can use it.

The unit sharing is there to maintain some degree of fairness, so that users are not alienated. The extra cost is there as an incentive to buy the unit (other than not being dependent on your opponent having it).

There is also a "Free unit of the day": evey day of the week a different premium unit is available to everybody.
As you can see I'm working on the idea of "giving and then taking away".
Vania

Re: HexWars

Postby Benjaminsen » May 12th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Uhh looks great! Ping me on MSN or Skype next chance you get so we can talk it over! :D
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby WindieGames » May 12th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Looks very interesting. I'd be interested to see if the new paypartners service would fill this game up.
WindieGames

Postby Vania » May 20th, 2011, 2:34 am

Guys I was thinking about adding a "Quick match" feature.

It would be implemented as a $service-room$ that keeps a list of players and matches them together.
For now it would just blindly match players, but later when there's a larger player base it could match them by rank.

I also need to reduce the bounce rate, which is 33% right now.
Vania

Postby jsheppard » May 20th, 2011, 5:27 am

Looks like an awesome game. All I had time for was the tutorial, but from what I can tell it's very clean game and FUN! I'd be interested in seeing a story along with the game with levels against NPCs that followed the plot.

Also!
I'm totally for a 'quick match' option. Trying to organize games with lots of players/teams can be a hassle, so do it!
Last edited by jsheppard on May 21st, 2011, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsheppard

Postby Benjaminsen » May 20th, 2011, 7:46 am

jsheppard wrote:Looks like an awesome game. All I had time for was the tutorial, but from what I can tell it's very clean game and FUN! I'd be interested in seeing a story along with the game with levels against NPCs that followed the plot.

My thoughts exactly, especially if it could be a CO-OP experience where players could battle AI together.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Vania » May 20th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Any good books on turn-based AI?
Vania

Postby jsheppard » May 23rd, 2011, 1:00 am

The more I got into playing this game, the more I felt that a 'Fog of War' effect was appropriate (where only areas that you occupied were visible). Now I'm totally clueless whether or not this can be implemented, but I feel that it would bring on a better challenge in the PVP.
jsheppard

Postby Vania » May 23rd, 2011, 2:39 am

Fog of war could be added, with some work.
I think it would be nice but definitely not a priority. I've been playing the game a lot and most people find it hard enough as it is.

From just this weekend I have a list of dozens of things that need fixing... lots and lots of things.
Vania

Postby jsheppard » July 25th, 2011, 10:47 pm

So, apparently the game works at http://www.officeriot.net/hexwars but not no longer at http://nonoba.com/alegui/hexwars
Or, at least I can't log in at Nonoba. Whatever the case, I have returned to playing, seeing that there are lots of people in the lobby who are also ready and able.

My only complaint is a single game takes really long to play. Pretty much most of my games end in surrenders or quits because either me or my opponents have to go.
jsheppard

Postby Vania » July 26th, 2011, 12:03 am

That used to happen to me too.

I added a bunch of small maps for quick games.
Try "San Juan", it's a nice little map I added last week.

"Valley" and "Nicaragua" take forever, so avoid them if you dont have several hours to spare.
Vania

Return to Showroom