Forum The Lounge I'm working on a 2D MOBA game using PlayerIO, short video!

Talk about unrelated topics here.

I'm working on a 2D MOBA game using PlayerIO, short video!

Postby qugengames » April 6th, 2019, 7:43 am

As title says, I have been developing a 2D MOBA game using PlayerIO for 1 year now, its name is Ghantasy Online.
It's been a long way and still too much to go as a solo indie developer working with a single artist,

I thought it would be cool to share a short video I recorded showing the progress.
All you see in the video works completely online using a PlayerIO room.

https://youtu.be/-gJLw1n5tiw

If you are wondering, I integrated a 2D physics library that runs in both PlayerIO server's game room and the clients, the server being the authoritative.

I hope you like the concept and alpha gameplay footage :D
qugengames

Re: I'm working on a 2D MOBA game using PlayerIO, short vide

Postby robscherer123 » April 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Nice game, looks pretty solid! I'm an indie MMO developer as well using PlayerIO. It's definitely a lot of work. What are you building your game with? Unity or something else?

How's it going as well as syncing things up between clients? In my opinion, that's one of the trickiest parts with seemingly no perfect solution.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby qugengames » April 10th, 2019, 6:49 pm

robscherer123 wrote:Nice game, looks pretty solid! I'm an indie MMO developer as well using PlayerIO. It's definitely a lot of work. What are you building your game with? Unity or something else?

How's it going as well as syncing things up between clients? In my opinion, that's one of the trickiest parts with seemingly no perfect solution.

Hello!
Thank you for your comment.

Awesome! are you working on a MMO project as of today using PlayerIO?
How do you deal with the 40 player per room limitation?
Yea, It's a lot for work!
I'm using Unity, yes.

About syncing stuff between server and client, that's indeed a lot of work, so I developed a set of tools that allows me develop online games using PlayerIO with ease, I call it the TUXANY framework.
It's all about creating Network Entities, you use a software that let's you add such entities and add properties to them.
The software will make sure to create the required class.
You develop both client and server code in the single class,
Then when you are done, you clic a Synchronize button and it will make sure it exports the code to both the PlayerIO server project and unity project, this make it a viable commercial option as the client project will only have what the client is supposed to have in terms of code, what you flag as SERVER code won't be shipped to the client project, but will remain coherently available to you in a single class file!

I'm speeding up development really fast and using PlayerIO to leverage and grow with them :)

It's also worth to mention that I'm using a custom version of JitterPhysics 2D, it's fully authoritative and lets you run it in both and server playerIO room and clients, you can find a detailed post about this journey I got into, here https://playerio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36600, this gives me the flexibility to create a commercial oriented project because players won't be able to hack the game as the code is authoritative in a way that this systems keep a synchronization of variables that exists on the server to all clients.

Take a look at some of this screenshot I took for you:
https://imgur.com/a/nwh4HSr

Regards
qugengames

Postby robscherer123 » April 11th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Yes I'm working on a new MMO with PlayerIO, but I already have an existing one with PlayerIO as well. It is here: www.helmet-heroes.com
Well, my game is split up into different levels, with each level being a different room in PlayerIO. So basically think side scrolling mario, with each level being a new room. So fitting 40 or less players in a room isn't really a big issue, unless there is an event or something crazy popular going on in a particular level. That being said, the private clusters do allow you to increase that player limit.

Ah, sounds pretty helpful the framework you have made. Keeping things in sync can definitely be pretty messy. Good to hear your able to speed that process up. As for the physics, that sounds really useful. Physics has always been a big issue for me as well, and again it's a another really hard thing to sync up. I'll keep those jitter physics in mind for the future, my new game is 2.5D so purely 2D physics wouldn't suffice for it.

Have you gotten to release your game to any of the public to play yet?
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby qugengames » April 11th, 2019, 7:57 pm

robscherer123 wrote:Yes I'm working on a new MMO with PlayerIO, but I already have an existing one with PlayerIO as well. It is here: http://www.helmet-heroes.com
Well, my game is split up into different levels, with each level being a different room in PlayerIO. So basically think side scrolling mario, with each level being a new room. So fitting 40 or less players in a room isn't really a big issue, unless there is an event or something crazy popular going on in a particular level. That being said, the private clusters do allow you to increase that player limit.

Ah, sounds pretty helpful the framework you have made. Keeping things in sync can definitely be pretty messy. Good to hear your able to speed that process up. As for the physics, that sounds really useful. Physics has always been a big issue for me as well, and again it's a another really hard thing to sync up. I'll keep those jitter physics in mind for the future, my new game is 2.5D so purely 2D physics wouldn't suffice for it.

Have you gotten to release your game to any of the public to play yet?

Hi again!
Nice! I will make sure to register and create a character on your MMO tonight :)
Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense now.
Did you incorporate PayVault into your MMO for microtransactions?

As per the release for public, not yet as I'm preparing the rest of the heroes, I'm planning to release an early access build including 20 heroes in about 8 months from today.
qugengames

Postby robscherer123 » April 15th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Yup I incorporated PayVault into my game. It's been working out well for years now. :)

Running an MMO is definitely more fun than a single player game in my opinion. It's a lot of work, but it's a lot of fun updating the game and having players as engaged and excited as they get.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby patrickgraham » September 8th, 2022, 4:20 am

If you're looking for a way to download Nintendo DS ROMS for free, then Techtoroms is the perfect solution! With our easy-to-use software, you'll be able to download any game you want with just a few clicks. Plus, our extensive library of games means that you're sure to find something to suit your taste. Whether you're a fan of Mario or Zelda, we've got you covered!
patrickgraham

Postby OswinPeck » November 8th, 2022, 10:38 am

Can a 2D moba be like minecraft? Or will you create a new game that is more fun than I expected to see your game. Besides you can try using mac ROMs to play the hottest emulators like Psp, Nintendo or Xbox.
OswinPeck

Postby harrykane » November 10th, 2022, 2:19 pm

The library is also modular, so you can add new physics objects and update the library without having to change the code of your game.
wordle
harrykane

Return to The Lounge