Forum General Sponsorships, beta-testing and bandwidth concerns

Any issues or discussions relating to Flash development are welcome here.

Sponsorships, beta-testing and bandwidth concerns

Postby wildbunny » July 9th, 2011, 11:22 am

My game is very nearly ready for beta-testing, and I'm just wondering what other flash developers using player.io do regarding sponsorships and the seemingly incompatible requirement sponsors have that the game must be not already exposed to the public?

My concern is that I need to beta-test, not only for bug-fixing but also for robustness under heavy player load in a room and also so I can get an idea of how much band-width the full game will take... The last thing I want is for the sponsors to release the game and for it to use so much bandwidth that I end up making a loss :)

I also need to beta-test so I can fine-tune the micro-transactions, to make sure the highest amount of people are actually converting to paid users.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Re: Sponsorships, beta-testing and bandwidth concerns

Postby Benjaminsen » July 9th, 2011, 5:44 pm

The reason that sponsors does not want the game released before they sponsor it is that they want the capitalize on he newness factor of the game. Thus no sponsors are going to complain if you run a beta test, rather most will be happy as they know that they are getting a better game!

What I suggest you do is setup the game on it's own domain. Throw in some site locking to ensure the game does not get released on any other portals. If the game then becomes crazy populare during testing, you have a positive problem where you have to decide if you even want a sponsor. If you do, simply take down the game.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Re: Sponsorships, beta-testing and bandwidth concerns

Postby wildbunny » July 9th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Ok, thanks Chris!

Good advice :)

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Return to General