Forum C# Visual Studio - MAC

Visual Studio - MAC

Postby henshouse » August 7th, 2010, 12:38 am

Hi,

I'm on a mac and Visual Studio is an .exe file. Is there an alternative to Visual Studio that can compile dll on a mac. I know about virtual machines, but do not want to pay for them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Found a program called, MonoDevelop. It claims to have all the functionality as Visual Studio. I'll take a look at it.
henshouse

Re: Visual Studio - MAC

Postby Henrik » August 7th, 2010, 9:17 am

There's another discussion thread about this here:

csharp/mono-port-t35
Henrik
.IO

Postby jasonMcIntosh » March 31st, 2011, 6:58 pm

I'm not using a Mac, but O... M... G... Visual Studio is painful. After using Eclipse for years with Java and ActionScript... :cry:

My question is, is there a way to use MonoDevelop as the IDE while still compiling with Microsoft's C# rather than Mono?

I am not sure if MonoDevelop is closer to Eclipse, but I wanted to find out!

Thanks for any tips!
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby Benjaminsen » March 31st, 2011, 8:09 pm

jasonMcIntosh wrote:I'm not using a Mac, but O... M... G... Visual Studio is painful. After using Eclipse for years with Java and ActionScript... :cry:

My question is, is there a way to use MonoDevelop as the IDE while still compiling with Microsoft's C# rather than Mono?

I am not sure if MonoDevelop is closer to Eclipse, but I wanted to find out!

Thanks for any tips!

Mono support is experimental at best. Personally I run a VMWare with Visual Studio as it's the best solution for us mac users I have found.

Personally I use Flash Builder so I am quite familiar with eclipse and I can honestly say that I hate Eclipse as much as I hate Visual Studio ;)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby jasonMcIntosh » March 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm

I hate Eclipse as much as I hate Visual Studio

:lol:

I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it with VS. Thanks for the info!
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby jasonMcIntosh » March 31st, 2011, 9:36 pm

Oh, I just wanted to add that Adobe's crappy implementation of FlashBuilder is pathetic compared to the Java tools implementation.

Just wanted to get that dig in there, because I think Adobe has never built any of their products to a high standard. Just look at ActionScript3 and Flash Player. But I'm not bitter! No, noooo, noo, nope. :|
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Return to C#