Forum C# ServerCache, anyone tried it?

ServerCache, anyone tried it?

Postby robscherer123 » July 29th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I'm trying to cut down the amount of bandwidth my game uses as much as possible and I was wondering if anyone tried using the ServerCache class provided by PlayerIO? From what I've read in the documentation is that it can be used to store objects on physical servers, my case being 3 private servers that my game currently runs. From what I've read on the forum, Henrik posted around mid/late 2015 that this was a newly developed feature being worked on, so I wonder if it's considered a final working class now?

I've never realized this class existed, and it sounds awesome that we would be able to do this! It is a somewhat connection between rooms, and after running some calculations it could really save me a large chunk of bandwidth as I could store objects there instead of having to load the same large chunks of DB objects everytime a room is created.

However, I am testing the ServerCache on my development server and it works... sort of ish.. If I store something in the server cache (via Set), then create another room and use Get() to grab the object, about 70% of the time it returns null, other times it will return the object as it should. It's somewhat random. I'm not sure why I would get randomness with the ServerCache on testing on my development server

If anybody could give me some info on this class, or if they've used it, etc etc, that'd be great. The ServerCache could really help me with some things with my game, and it's a pretty cool feature I think.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Re: ServerCache, anyone tried it?

Postby ChristianD » August 4th, 2016, 4:48 am

Hi Rob,

We haven't touched that thing yet, so it is in whatever state it was since someone at Yahoo worked on it, so use at your own risk. :-)
Christian
ChristianD
.IO

Return to C#