Forum C# Framework Version and References

Framework Version and References

Postby JeBuS » September 7th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I'm just starting to turn my attention to the serverside requirements of my current project. I have a couple of questions.

1) What .NET Framework version should I target my dll to? It seems the mushroom example is currently targeting 4.0, but I want to make sure.

2) Can my game dll reference another dll. In this instance, I have in mind a portable class library responsible for pathfinding. Will I be able to upload both dll's to the server?
JeBuS

Re: Framework Version and References

Postby JeBuS » September 8th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Another question:

3) Why are static members not allowed? It's quite wasteful to continuously create some objects like comparers, rather than simply declaring a static one from the start.
JeBuS

Postby Henrik » September 9th, 2013, 7:21 am

1) 4.0 or below

2) No, one DLL only.

3) Static makes no sense in the context of distributed game servers. If you want single instance objects, instantiate them and attach them to your Game instance in the GameStarted() method.
Henrik
.IO

Postby JeBuS » September 9th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Henrik wrote:1) 4.0 or below

2) No, one DLL only.

3) Static makes no sense in the context of distributed game servers. If you want single instance objects, instantiate them and attach them to your Game instance in the GameStarted() method.

Thanks for the reply. Through trial and error, I had basically come to the same conclusion, but it's good to have it verified. As to the static issues, after doing further reading, I see what you mean. It was simply jarring to have that come up as an issue. It makes you rethink how you design your systems.

I have a new question.

4) I know that you guys maintain a whitelist of libraries / namespaces, but is it published anywhere? I keep butting my head against classes and whatnot that aren't allowed. I can continue to plod along using trial and error, but it makes development slower, not knowing where or when I'll be blocked.
JeBuS

Postby Henrik » September 9th, 2013, 10:47 pm

No, we don't publish the whitelist for security reasons.
Henrik
.IO

Postby JeBuS » September 9th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Henrik wrote:No, we don't publish the whitelist for security reasons.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that seems like a poor excuse. Whether or not you show your whitelist won't stop someone from using a weakness they come across. It does actively hamper people who are porting code, though.
JeBuS

Return to C#