Forum C# Mono Port

Re: Mono Port

Postby Jos » March 8th, 2011, 5:48 am

So, going back to 2.6 gets me farther - the actual server window opens up, and i can telnet in at the address/port. However I can not get the SWF to connect.

Luckily i do have parallels setup, and using VS C# Express works just fine. Looking forward to more compatibility, eventually, for the mono port.

Thanks for all the great work done so far!
Jos

Postby Oliver » March 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm

This, and most of the issues we've had reported about the mono dev server seems to revolve around issues with the Windows Forms implementation (the GUI framework used by the development server)

I think that we'll try to make one of the future versions detect that it's running under Mono and run console-only instead of showing a GUI that obviously does not work.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby mmcgraw » May 7th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Oliver wrote:With regards to VmWare: On my own MacBook Pro, a compile is about 1.5x faster in VS2008 under VMWare (Win7) than if i compile the same project with MonoDevelop under OS X. The test project i tried is many, many thousands lines of code and the MacBook has 8GB ram, so your mileage might vary. You'll also have to setup cross-virtual-machine networking if you're developing with Flash under Mac OS X and Visual Studio under Vmware.

Hi Oliver, I'm using OSX and VMware (Windows XP) and would like to run my test server on my VM also - is setting up cross virtual machine networking as you mention above straightforward? Are you referring to NAT / Bridged / Host Only settings, or something else? Apologies, not really a PlayerIO question, I know. Any links / tips would be appreciated!

EDIT: Somebody else confirmed the solution in this thread:
http://playerio.com/forum/post4247?hilit=Bridged#p4247
Works great! Thanks for (already) helping with this :-)
mmcgraw

Postby swell » May 31st, 2011, 7:24 pm

Hi there, any news regarding Mono support? Perhaps the new GTK# 2.12 that comes with MonoDevelop 2.6 can fix those compatibility issues?
swell

Postby capitaljmedia » September 13th, 2011, 4:46 am

Hi,

I am looking into using Player.io for our newest game, but since we are developing on Mac (unity) we are having some trouble getting things going. I've looked through the information here on Mono and have run into a few issues. F5 doesn't do anything on Mac, so I tried both Run and Build. :

- The Development server solution (both 2008 and 2010) open up fine in MonoDevelop 2.4.2 but if I run them they just output:
Please login to your development account
Username: Password: Username: Unknown user, try with your e-mail address
Please login to your development account

There are no errors, just the above text over and over again. Tried disabling firewall on OS X, but no change. Tried to comment out the line:
client.Multiplayer.DevServer = new ServerEndpoint("localhost",8184);

and tried to connect to the Game ID I created on PlayerIO but Unity still gives the error that it can't connect to any of my development servers. It does fetch the correct account name though.

I also looked through the documentation about creating new games on PlayerIO and I can't find the button "Create New Server Type" button that is referred to in the Getting Started guide, although I was able to upload the "MushroomsUnity3DExample.dll" code to the game. Still nothing happens in Unity or MonoDevelop.

Any word on all of this? It seems to be 9 months since the last update to the Unity side of things.
capitaljmedia

Postby Oliver » September 20th, 2011, 2:14 pm

For now the only officially supported method of developing multiplayer code on a mac is via Visual Studio in VMWare or Parallels.

We've simply run into too many roadblocks and showstoppers with mono to be able to support it.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Previous

Return to C#