Forum C# MOBA/MMORPG theory

MOBA/MMORPG theory

Postby Maras » December 26th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to control many creeps like in MOBA/MMORPG on serverside? (To make it hack proof)

Lets say there are 30 minions on map, everyone needs to know where to go, attack when enemy hero is nearby etc...

Thats quite a lot of operations and a lot of messages.

Can Player.IO server handle it? Are there any tricks to lower the number of messages sent?

Would it be possible to make game like RotMG with PlayerIO? (http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/)
Maras

Re: MOBA/MMORPG theory

Postby Benjaminsen » December 29th, 2012, 7:50 pm

The basic Player.IO package where not sat-up to handle MMO's such as Realm Of the Mad god. Basically you would quite quickly run into one major Player.IO limitation, which is that you are not allowed to have more than 45 people connected to the same room instance.

Besides that there is nothing preventing you from writing very complex games running on the server. Checkout Astroflux for an example.

On a side note, the 45 user limit can be removed on private servers :)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Maras » December 30th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Well I was thinking about 6v6 - 10v10 but with quite a lot of AI creeps.

I am not afraid of 45 online player limitation, more about traffic - if it can handle loads of messages and calulations where are creeps going and what they are going to do.

Are there any tips how to decrease traffic load? For example program creeps on both sides and send messages about what they are doing only once a second or something.

Is it good idea?

Im not going to start making new game anytime soon, I still hope Manamancers (former Match Monsters) will start earning some money, but I would love to make some MOBA/MMORPG.
Maras

Postby dreamora » December 30th, 2012, 5:24 pm

There is a different major limitation which you can not solve and that is that Player.IO is always TCP.
With MOBAs being primarily a matter of reaction and action (at least those I know), TCP can prevent you from going anywhere at all as TCP means 'MMO pace' as in WoW pace with 80-150ms++ pings as reasonable minimum to be assumed to be the norm, not 25ms as in League of Legends or DOTA2 for example.

If your game didn't require this kind of reaction speed (no instant spells for example), then its not a problem naturally.
Last edited by dreamora on December 31st, 2012, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreamora

Postby Maras » December 30th, 2012, 8:21 pm

dreamora wrote:There is a different major limitation which you can not solve and that is that Player.IO is always TCP.
With MOBAs being primarily a matter of reaction and action (at least those I know), TCP can prevent you from going anywhere at all as TCP means 'MMO pace' as in WoW pace with 80-150ms++ pings as reasonable minimum to be assumed to be the norm, not 25ms as in League of Legends or DOTA2 for example.

If your can didn't require this kind of reaction speed (no instant spells for example), then its not a problem naturally.

Well I was thinking about something a bit slower than MOBA - But I should surely test it out first.

Thanks!
Maras

Return to C#