Forum C# Memory / RAM available for game instances?

Memory / RAM available for game instances?

Postby whitershores » June 7th, 2012, 10:56 am

Hi can someone please tell me that how much memory / RAM is allocated to the basic 'Plus' subscription payers for each running game instance?

If there is no such minimum allocation, then realistically how much in practice can I expect to be able to work with, to stay safe?

Finally, how can I profile/monitor the memory consumption of my application during development, AND during live testing, to make sure that I stay within these limits?
whitershores
Paid Member

Re: Memory / RAM available for game instances?

Postby whitershores » June 11th, 2012, 10:18 am

So Chris/Henrik :) can you please answer my question? Thanks!
whitershores
Paid Member

Postby dreamora » June 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm

The service needs better and clearer specifications.

2 weeks ago the question on the CPU time and speed arose, now this question on the RAM. Its only a matter of time till the questions on the CDN and bandwidth come up as neither is specified either.

I get the feeling that we are playing a 'hide the specs so nobody can sue us if we underdeliver' game here instead of getting proper specs of what we can expect at minimum, that we can build upon and upon which Player.IO can build trust.

I would like to add my desire to know about this and the platform in general.

We are working on a professional game that once released will be huge and require that the servers work stable and with a consistent base performance, not with 'best hopes and good luck' assumptions on performance, memory and availability.
dreamora

Postby Henrik » June 13th, 2012, 6:32 pm

If you want guarantees on the amount of memory you can use (or CPU or bandwidth or any other resource), we can offer reasonably priced dedicated game servers, and then you will know exactly how much resources you have and can use fully.
Henrik
.IO

Postby whitershores » June 13th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Thanks Henrik, and I fully realise that if I have paid several thousands of $ I could get all the RAM I wanted, however that is not a realistic thing to do upfront, that could only happen if and when a game starts to show any returns after its release.
I think it is obvious, that if you have ever developed anything platform specific, then before you can start to work you would have to find out about the limits of that platform, to make sure that any code you will write will run.

So can you please answer the question I have asked when I have opened the topic:

whitershores wrote:how much memory / RAM is allocated to the basic 'Plus' subscription payers for each running game instance?

If there is no such minimum allocation, then realistically how much in practice can I expect to be able to work with, to stay safe?

- please notice the words in bold. Is it 50MBs ? is it 100MBs ? 500MBs ?

Thank you!
whitershores
Paid Member

Postby dreamora » June 13th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Henrik wrote:If you want guarantees on the amount of memory you can use (or CPU or bandwidth or any other resource), we can offer reasonably priced dedicated game servers, and then you will know exactly how much resources you have and can use fully.

But then we wouldn't use Player.IO if we wanted to lose cloud scaleability for predefined dedicated machines, would we?

I guess that you have a minimum acceptable resources limit internally to that you consider the minimum quality of service you want to offer your customers, at which point you expand your backend to continue to meet this bare minimum.
I do this assumption basing on the fact that offering this specific service is your business so it potentially even is part of your business plan but at least part of the core operating costs.

As such I would like to add my vote for whiteshores request here.
dreamora

Postby Henrik » June 14th, 2012, 1:37 pm

We understand your concerns, but the problem with answering your question is that what's reasonable changes over time, depending on the current hardware for the cluster, and what every other game is doing and using. It's a moving target, which makes us very reluctant to give you an actual number. We don't want people to come back to this thread a year from now and think that it still applies.

If we see that your game is using an unreasonable amount of resources, such that it severely impacts the cluster for everyone else, we'll move you to the Observation cluster where we can help you get your resource usage under control.

But you wanted a number so we'll give you a number. Right now, if you stay within 100MB per room, you'll probably be ok.
Henrik
.IO

Postby whitershores » June 14th, 2012, 2:00 pm

thanks, thats all I wanted to know!!
whitershores
Paid Member

Postby dreamora » June 14th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Thats for the number.
I doubt we will ever even get close to that but its good to know that we don't hit the wall at a handfull of MBs already and can thus cache time critical data
dreamora

Return to C#