Forum C# System.Web.Services

System.Web.Services

Postby azuanagames » January 26th, 2012, 6:00 am

I need to connect to a SOAP server from my game server. Two simple calls... however apparently I can't use System.Web.Services?

Is there an alternate to building a SOAP client that doesn't use System.Web.Services?

:/
azuanagames

Re: System.Web.Services

Postby Benjaminsen » January 31st, 2012, 11:43 am

azuanagames wrote:I need to connect to a SOAP server from my game server. Two simple calls... however apparently I can't use System.Web.Services?

Is there an alternate to building a SOAP client that doesn't use System.Web.Services?

:/

SOAP is just web requests, you can use the PlayerIO.Web api to call the SOAP methods manually.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby azuanagames » February 1st, 2012, 3:00 am

I've tried but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

How do I set the content type to application/soap+xml?
How do I manually set what you actually post? I don't want to post variables, I only want the body of the http request to be xml...

Help :)
azuanagames

Postby azuanagames » February 1st, 2012, 4:33 am

Another related question: Are you restricting ports? Am I allowed to use non-standard http ports?
azuanagames

Postby azuanagames » March 23rd, 2012, 7:08 pm

azuanagames wrote:Another related question: Are you restricting ports? Am I allowed to use non-standard http ports?

I still haven't received an answer to this and I feel it's the thing that's preventing me from using the Web API.

If there is a restriction, how can we get it removed?

Thanks
azuanagames

Postby Oliver » March 26th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Hello Azuana,

We currently don't support adding calling web services from multiplayer code (as you have discovered by yourself). We probably won't add direct support for referencing a webservice via visual studio, since the webservice stuff that is built into .net adds a fair bit of overhead.

What I will do however, is put down a feature request for extending the Web API such that you can call SOAP by posting XML yourself. However, I can't promise that it's going to be built, because there could be some security concerns about allowing arbitrary headers and post content to any webserver from our systems.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby azuanagames » March 26th, 2012, 11:01 pm

I should just post a new topic, since I'm not concerned about using the System.Web.Services. I am ok with building the soap messages by hand and using the PlayerIO.Web class that you provide. However I'm thinking that the problem I'm encountering is just a matter of the port? Am I totally wrong on that? Should I be able to hit any port? Or do you restrict it to only port 80?

Thanks
azuanagames

Postby Henrik » March 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm

What happens when you try a different port than 80? The port is part of the URL, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

However, depending on the webservice you're connecting to you might need to set some HTTP headers, and there's no support for that in the current Multiplayer API. But in the meantime, just try it out and see how far you get.
Henrik
.IO

Postby azuanagames » March 28th, 2012, 4:44 am

Unfortunately that web server is configured to a certain port 8081 in this case. I can't really change there server. It's been quite frustrating...

Note sure what else to try at this point.

Maybe it is the headers.. I have no way of verify what is going on on the server. I have been interacting with the server using php on my site, however I'd rather not have to pay for separate hosting just to act as a translator.
azuanagames

Return to C#