Forum C# SQL Database?

SQL Database?

Postby koseki » April 20th, 2010, 12:20 am

Hi.
Is there way to use any SQL Database through Player.IO? We need to connect to MySQL, but we can't use any library because of the Player.IO restriction of using lots of C# classes that are used in side libraries.
koseki

Re: SQL Database?

Postby Oliver » April 20th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Hi,

Sorry, no. We don't support connecting to MySQL from our service. It would be weird, because you would have to open up your MySQL to arbitrary connections from the entire internet since we have servers at different places.

However, we are building a database solution that will allow you to store and query data via Player.IO.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby azuanagames » April 30th, 2010, 2:31 am

Looking forward to this feature.

This is one of the things I will be needing for my multi-player game idea.

You already handle user logins which is great.

I imagine this is how we would get leaderboards?

Thanks,
Azuana Games
azuanagames

Postby Oliver » May 7th, 2010, 3:06 pm

(sorry for the late reply)

I imagine this is how we would get leaderboards?

Almost; this is how you'll be able to make your own leaderboards or any other kind of lists-of-users...
:D

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby azuanagames » May 10th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Sounds good. I know you guys are very busy. I am not going to be able to work on my project for the next month or so. Plenty of time for you all to finish! :twisted:
azuanagames

Postby Toby » May 11th, 2010, 11:08 am

Can you not just route your MySQL requests through php or some other cheat/work-around?
Toby

Postby azuanagames » May 11th, 2010, 12:29 pm

I don't know enough about how the Player IO system works. Are calls to a http server allowed from the .NET sandbox? Didn't sound like they were. My client isn't what would connect to the SQL database, it's the server.

I guess I just need to spend some time working on this project. Time just isn't flexible enough though... Where is that time machine when you need it!
azuanagames

Postby tadeegan » May 22nd, 2010, 4:05 am

So there is no way to store stats for each user like experience or money?
tadeegan

Postby flash_mmo » May 25th, 2010, 3:44 pm

tadeegan wrote:So there is no way to store stats for each user like experience or money?

Hi, Tadeegan.
I understand where you are coming at and I'm at the same page currently.

I was thinking of setting up MySQL manually on the flash front to make it store only the most necessary variables such as gold, xp, and last known location (three that just smashed up in my mind..). By saving it through facebook uid there will be just so much data the sql has to handle, while Player.IO handles all the movement stuff & temporary variables that are seen by other players, creating a system which would be kind of critical to hacking if done sleazy, but could be quite possibly robust if there's much work let into it.

Here's a tutorial on how to GET and SET variables from flash -> php -> mysql.
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actions ... _mysql.htm

I liked it a lot and will be using it for my project! :)
flash_mmo

Postby tadeegan » May 25th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Haha. I looked at the exact same site. I have already set up my SQL database (000webhost.com is free) and I have some functionalty with the php. I'm not planning to sync with facebook so that will not be an issue for me.
tadeegan

Postby flash_mmo » May 25th, 2010, 9:11 pm

tadeegan wrote:Haha. I looked at the exact same site. I have already set up my SQL database (000webhost.com is free) and I have some functionalty with the php. I'm not planning to sync with facebook so that will not be an issue for me.

I found out that you had to parse through the HTML response in order to get it back into the game, frmo Mysql->PHP->Flash that is. But with AMFPHP (http://www.amfphp.org/amfphprocks.html) you can do this easier.
Thanks to the guy I'm talking to in my topic (you can see it in "Multiplayer" forum).

Look at our discussion, we're solving the exact same issue as you! :)
flash_mmo

Postby Oliver » May 28th, 2010, 8:36 am

Hi Guys,

Just a short note to let you know that we've launched our persistance/database solution.

It's called BigDB, and you can read more about it here:
http://playerio.com/features/bigdb/
http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby azuanagames » June 8th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Just a quick note to say that the BigDB is being my expectations! I've just started my development now with PlayerIO. Thrilled, it looks like this is going to be a HUGE time saver for developers.
azuanagames

Return to C#