Forum C# Static fields are disallowed

Static fields are disallowed

Postby sidwoo » November 28th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Is there a special reason why "Static fields are disallowed" ?

Edit:
i removed the static stuff from my script but i still get this error:
MyGame.Properties.Settings.defaultInstance ist static -- Static fields are disallowed

Could that have happened because i changed project settings?!

EDIT2:
Ok, now i found the settings and deleted them ... :?
sidwoo

Re: Static fields are disallowed

Postby Oliver » November 29th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Hey,

Static fields are disallowed, because you'd probably try to use them to have share game-wide data, but since we run instances of your rooms across many different servers, each room would see a different value in the static variables depending on which server they are running on.

To avoid such confusion, we simply decided to disallow static properties.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby sidwoo » November 29th, 2010, 2:02 pm

ok thankx, took const now :)
sidwoo

Postby jasonMcIntosh » March 31st, 2011, 2:31 am

What about static constants? Those are really, really useful and help improve code integrity. They would not change across servers, obviously, since they are constants. :)

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify my use case. The sort of thing I mean is like using MOVE_MESSAGE_ID (a string constant) in place of typing "move" every time. The latter is prone to subtle bugs from typos. The former also allows you to change the value in just one place instead of doing an error-prone search/replace. I'm sure you already knew what I meant. :)
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby Benjaminsen » March 31st, 2011, 10:21 am

jasonMcIntosh wrote:What about static constants? Those are really, really useful and help improve code integrity. They would not change across servers, obviously, since they are constants. :)

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify my use case. The sort of thing I mean is like using MOVE_MESSAGE_ID (a string constant) in place of typing "move" every time. The latter is prone to subtle bugs from typos. The former also allows you to change the value in just one place instead of doing an error-prone search/replace. I'm sure you already knew what I meant. :)

We choose a route where we decided to always disallow static fields. There is however nothing preventing you from declaring a variable and using that all over. If you insist that the value must be read only you can use:

Code: Select all
string MOVE_MESSAGE { get { return "move"; } }
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby jasonMcIntosh » March 31st, 2011, 4:56 pm

Fair enough. A small price to pay for everything else we get in exchange.
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby Henrik » April 1st, 2011, 10:36 am

Another way of doing it is like this:

public readonly string MOVE_MESSAGE = "move";
Henrik
.IO

Postby jasonMcIntosh » April 1st, 2011, 3:13 pm

I'm actually using static functions to return the values, which seems to work ok so far.

I created a wrapper class for Message so that I can define message fields more explicitly (ie, moveMessage.positionX) rather than having to remember array indexes. I want to avoid bugs where I've used the wrong array index or later change message fields/ordering.

class HelloMessage : GameMessage // GameMessage contains an instance of Message
{
    public static string ID() { return "1"; }

public HelloMessage() : base( Message.Create( ID() ) )
    {
    }

public override string id { get { return ID(); } }
}

That message doesn't have any payload, so there are no Message access wrapper methods, but I hope this will reduce bugs for me in the long run.

Anyway, you can see here that I can access the message id from the instance or statically. Now I only need to define the message id once, in this file, and I won't have multiple definitions floating around that will cause pain later when I forget to change one.

Thanks for the ideas! :)
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby jasonMcIntosh » June 6th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Just wanted to mention that

public MyClass
{
    public const int MY_VALUE = 777;
}

works as I desired since const properties are implicitly static when defined in the class declaration. Yay!!

Henrik, your alternative proposal (using readonly) seems really close to this, and I don't yet understand what the difference is, but I'm happy to have static access to ids and other immutable data. 8-)

So, there's no more whining from me about this issue.
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Return to C#