Forum C# Dev server: Mutliple Server Types?

Dev server: Mutliple Server Types?

Postby default0 » November 23rd, 2010, 6:42 pm

Hey

would be awesome if you could modify the development server to allow running several DLLs at the same time, as this could make testing specific things lots easier.

Best regards
Try to play my Game: -->BlackGalaxy<--
default0

Re: Dev server: Mutliple Server Types?

Postby TobiasW » November 23rd, 2010, 8:54 pm

Oh, yes. Yes, it would!
TobiasW

Postby fox1980 » November 24th, 2010, 1:55 pm

I guess it doesn't work because you can't bind two programs to the same port.
I'm not sure i understand what you're trying to do, why would you need 2 development servers running ?
fox1980

Postby TobiasW » November 24th, 2010, 2:26 pm

You obviously can't, but one development server could load several DLLs - and choose between them, like the real server would.

I have a lobby server and and a game server, and I was thinking really hard if I should divide these two into two servers (though engineering-wise it is an obvious "yes!") because I can only debug one of them easily, and have to reroute the other one to the real server each time I switch.

Well, this issue doesn't have The Highest Priority for me, but it sure would be nice.
TobiasW

Postby fox1980 » November 24th, 2010, 3:09 pm

You don't need two servers for that, you can have a room for your lobby and others for the game. That's how i'm doing it and personally i prefer to work with only one project.
What i do is simply check the room id and act accordingly:

If (Room.name=="Lobby")
{
whatever
}
else
{
whatever
}
fox1980

Postby TobiasW » November 24th, 2010, 3:19 pm

I know; I considered this first, too. It's just seems kind of messy. The Lobby Server and the Game Server share nearly no functionality at all, it seems like an obvious choice to me that they are made different servers then instead of branching in every method, making two classes to hold the different sets of data needed etc.
TobiasW

Postby fox1980 » November 24th, 2010, 3:43 pm

I guess it depends on how you organize your project, there aren't that many methods you would have to branch. Having to start 2 projects everytime you want to debug seems more awkward to me but that's just my personal opinion.
But one thing really doesn't add up, if we can choose the port we want to connect to in the client, we should also be able to specify wich port we want the server to bind to.
fox1980

Postby TobiasW » November 24th, 2010, 3:47 pm

fox1980 wrote:Having to start 2 projects everytime you want to debug seems more awkward to me but that's just my personal opinion.

Yep, definitly. That's why:
TobiasW wrote:[...]but one development server could load several DLLs - and choose between them, like the real server would.

That would be nice :)

Right now I'm just letting my lobby run on the Player.IO server and unset multiplayer.developmentServer before I connect to a lobby-type room, which is sort of okay.
TobiasW

Postby default0 » November 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Of course you can put all the code you need into a single DLL and load that - even though for several setups this is completely messy.
It was just a short idea to make debugging with development server easier :)
Try to play my Game: -->BlackGalaxy<--
default0

Postby Oliver » November 25th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Hi Guys,

We know that it's a pain to develop w/ multiple server types currently, and we also have a plan for how to fix it. However, it's a pretty big change with a lot of associated testing.

Since you can accomplish the same thing with multiple projects currently (although it's really bothersome to do so), we've pushed back implementing this until more pressing matters have been resolved.

Short story: It's on the todo list.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to C#