Forum Games Some questions about Player.IO.

Discussion relating to game development with Flash

Some questions about Player.IO.

Postby TheKraigose » December 14th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Hello, Player.IO team and users,
I'm a newbie Flash programmer (but not a newbie programmer in general, been programming since 2007 for school and personal use).

I know how to use FlashPunk and both FlashDevelop and Flash Builder 4. I prefer to use FB4/FDevelop and FlashPunk because it's what I know, and don't use the unstable Flash CS5 IDE, which has crashed frequently on both Mac OS X and Windows 7. (grubbles at Adobe)

Also, for some reason Flash IDE CS5 just seems too much overhead. FB4 and FD are both easy to use and I can embed graphics better.

Here's what I DO know:

> Parsing XML files to create levels.
> Loading graphics using Embed statements (FlashPunk).
> Collision detection using FlashPunk.
> Object-Oriented AND Procedural programming.
> I also know both C# And AS3 by now decently. AS3 was not hard to learn as I've known C# since 2007, and VB.NET since 2006.

http://kraigose.com/downloads/Choirboy2D.swf

This is an example of the basic engine I've got so far, with no client/server communication. Just standalone. It's to show I am capable of game development. (Z shoots, X fires, arrow keys move and arrow up enters doors. Not a complete level but does demonstrate some of my game's capabilities so far).

I know the basic client-side only logic. But to communicate with a server, I am having quite some trouble grasping the concepts of making a team-based side scrolling shooter, complete with joining specific teams and selecting a particular role or class.

I can run the examples fine, it's just the logic that's escaping me... and not many tutorials out there aside the local one. And not many open sourced project examples aside, again, local ones to at least see how things are done. I have no clue why I'm having such a hard time.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, this was the closest thing to a general forum I could find about game logic. It's not specific to C# or VB, but rather both.

Thanks in advance,
Kraig.
TheKraigose

Re: Some questions about Player.IO.

Postby TobiasW » December 14th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Hey Kraig,

maybe the Multiplayer Asteroids Sample will help you a little?

Cheers,
Tobias
TobiasW

Postby TheKraigose » December 15th, 2010, 1:51 pm

TobiasW wrote:Hey Kraig,

maybe the Multiplayer Asteroids Sample will help you a little?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the quick reply. Indeed, that example ended up being what I used.

I got the server to work and the client program is now communicating with it.

EDIT:

However, my players are not syncing properly. Projectiles only show on one opened SWF, and when another player enters, it shows up on their window as a blue, but on mine as a second red.

I'm following the Asteroids MP example as closely as possible, but I think it has something to do with how I'm selecting teams and classes.
TheKraigose

Postby Oliver » December 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm

We have a great tutorial on building multiplayer games with Flash and Player.IO

http://playerio.com/documentation/tutor ... -tutorial/
Oliver
.IO

Return to Games