Forum Mobile Restricted to Flash?

Everything mobile goes here.

Restricted to Flash?

Postby davidhbolton » February 21st, 2010, 2:01 pm

I was just wondering if this extends say to multi-user iPhone apps?
davidhbolton

Re: Restricted to Flash?

Postby Oliver » February 21st, 2010, 3:55 pm

Since the services provided by Player.IO are generic in nature, there is nothing except the lack of client-library for Obj-C preventing the usage of the services for iPhone development.

Are you an iPhone developer? Would you like to use Player.IO on iPhones?

I'm intrigued, tell me more :-)

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby davidhbolton » February 21st, 2010, 4:13 pm

Yes, I am a registered iPhone developer, working on a Flash (for Facebook/websites) first and then an iPhone version of a game with both single player and multi-player capability. From the iPhone client, a web url to fetch would be fine.
davidhbolton

Postby Cyclone103 » February 21st, 2010, 6:20 pm

I'd kill to play a halfway decent multiplayer flash game, I'd love to see what you could make!
Cyclone103

Postby markloika » July 9th, 2010, 8:29 am

Will there be support for iOS devices? Is there any timeline for such a feature? What about Android? The game I'm working on now will (hopefully) be ported to the iPad/iPhone and then on to Android. This is completely dependent on how well the flash version goes, but it's definitely a feature that would be great to have. Then someone playing the flash version could be playing with someone on an iPhone, which would just be really cool.
markloika

Postby Benjaminsen » July 9th, 2010, 11:58 am

Yep, there will be support for both iOS and android devices. The question is more about timeline, basically we build new features based on feedback and demand. Thus if you are a great client for us and is in need of a iOS API we will make one.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby markloika » July 10th, 2010, 6:19 am

Sounds great Chris. I look forward to seeing how well my game does using Player.IO. The deadline to get it done is next week, so you should see it sometime around then :)
markloika

Postby -Mani » July 11th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Hey Guys,

It would be so aaawesome if there was a player.io version for the iPhone.

I'm a registered apple developer for the iPhone, and I already tried to make a multiplayer flash game on the iPhone, but I get this error:
Cannot import a SWF file when LoaderContext.allowCodeImport is false.

Well I think it isn't allowed to load other swfs into the main-swf.
And there is that "player IO" banner everytime you connect to the server, which is, I guess,is a swf...

I hope there's gonna be a solution!

Thank you!
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby markloika » July 11th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Mani,

Flash CS5 has the ability to export to the iPhone, but even if you made an app using Flash CS5, you could not put it in the App Store. Apple disallowed this in a ToS update quite some time ago. Also, you're getting that error because in order to export to the iPhone, Flash CS5 converts all your Actionscript code into something that can run on the iPhone. There is no Flash Player on the iPhone. A SWF file requires Flash Player, which is why loading external SWFs does not, and will never, work on the iPhone/iPad.

If you want to make a multi-platform iPhone/iPad app, look into Unity 3D. Apps made with Unity 3D haven't yet been not approved in the App Store (well, apps have been not approved, but not because they were made with Unity 3D, just the standard reasons an app might not be approved).

Mark
markloika

Postby -Mani » July 12th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Hey,

Oh!
Ok I've already head of that, but really never beleaved it :lol: !
but yeah I've googled a lil' bit, and ...it's true!

Ok that isn't too bad...

Is there any possibility to use player.io with the iphone sdk or with unity?

Thank you for your time!
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby markloika » July 12th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Currently no, but as Chris said earlier in this thread:

Benjaminsen wrote:Yep, there will be support for both iOS and android devices. The question is more about timeline, basically we build new features based on feedback and demand. Thus if you are a great client for us and is in need of a iOS API we will make one.

So make your game in flash, deploy to the web, become a great client, and then they'll make an iOS/whatever version of the API.
markloika

Return to Mobile