Forum Mobile Unable to connect

Everything mobile goes here.

Unable to connect

Postby kustrle » July 28th, 2011, 12:43 am

I've downloaded a new release of FlashDevelop and made an android application. It's using Player.IO. Everything works fine when I test it on my computer (.swf), but when I compile an .apk and install it on my Android Phone (HTC Sensation) it's unable to connect. The connect method returns no error but doesn't connect either, even after 5 minutes of waiting. Anyone got an idea what might be wrong here?
kustrle

Re: Unable to connect

Postby bytescape » August 30th, 2011, 6:54 pm

I have been having exactly the same issue with the Adobe Air / Player.IO / Android combination (even using Air 3 Beta), but I'm not sure if it is Player.IO's fault. It seems nearly impossible to get a straight answer anywhere about what the limitations are for multiplayer gaming using Adobe Air Mobile, but it seems that there are many.

The answer I get the most has been, "Run it from the browser in Android using Flash Player 10.1 and it will work." I haven't tried this personally, but even if it does work, it doesn't fit the business model of selling the game in the app store / market and providing a free multiplayer service.

Does anyone know what it takes to get working multiplayer in Adobe Air Mobile? More specifically, why does Player.IO not connect (nor even throw an error!) when attempting it from the phone? Because I really want to use Player.IO, but my multiplayer required game will not work that well with the free to play model if I have to pay for the multiplayer myself for thousands of freeloaders.
bytescape

Return to Mobile